My Granddad’s birthday would have been today. He passed away 16 years ago, just days before the birth of my second child. This picture was taken of him holding my oldest son, Jacob, on his third birthday. Jacob was the first grandchild for both families, which made him pretty special to a lot of people, not the least of which was his granddad.
Other things Granddad loved include:
- Saying “Poor Old…” and pausing dramatically, while the grandkids gleefully filled in the blank with “Granddad!”
- His Lord and his church (he was a minister)
- Homemade ice cream (pictured in the cup in his hand)
- Slicing open a watermelon on a hot day
- His family
- Foghorn Leghorn cartoons
- Mowing on his riding lawnmower wearing his safari hat
There’s a whole lot more I could say about my granddad. He was a very special man and I wish more of my children could have known him.